Monday, August 31, 2015


I waited
each year
for the white to wither
for the red to wear off
for terror to end.

It's hard to decide what I'm attracted to
the flower or the woman,
when they all depict
a "nicer" version of the war.




P.S. When I first saw this picture, two colors stood out. Red and White. So I thought of the Japan flag and all these chaos going around as we past the 70th anniversary of WW2.

The narrator in this poem was caught in this war and when it ended, the narrator felt history of the war was altered as time went by.

Picture credited:http://magpietales.blogspot.sg

14 comments:

  1. Mmmm. Deep breath of admiration for your words of poetry and your closing meditation. You've touched me today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting take on the Japanese flag. Similarly I thought of Madame Butterfly and the Chyrsanthemum throne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful thoughts on the symbolism of red and white. The first stanza is particularly dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a very thoughtful take..i loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo! I liked the first stanza, I took the second to be your opinion.

    ReplyDelete